viernes, 10 de mayo de 2013

9. Working with Teenagers: What I Like and What I Do Not Like


There are two words I can use to describe what is like to work with teenagers: challenging, and rewarding. Adolescence is perhaps one of the most difficult stages of life. It is a time of changes and discoveries. Teenagers are no longer children, but they are not adults either. It is essential to understand that the teenage brain is not fully developed. Teens still cannot control their impulses, or make good judgments the way adults do. For these reasons and many others, it is no wonder that working with teenagers is a big challenge.

But, challenges are good, aren´t they? The truth is that working with teens demands so much from us. We must understand what our teenage students need from us. We must guide, nurture and inspire our students. If we are able to do all this, then we will have done our job. We will have helped our students develop their skills and potential. We will have walked by their side in one of the most important times of their lives. What can be more rewarding than that?



 "At the end of the day, teenagers need us to be the best version of ourselves". 



During my teaching practicum, I have come to realize several things that I like about working with teens:

1. When you are in a room full of teens, you feel you are in a room full of life. 
Teens are very energetic. Sometimes, this can feel overwhelming. But, we need to be able to redirect their energy and enthusiasm so that learning takes place. For instance, we can make them use their energy when we develop different classroom activities.

2. Teens are spontaneous and witty. 
It was interesting to hear all the things my teenage students came up with. They are unpredictable as well; you do not know if they are going to be cheerful, or moody. You do not know how they are going to respond to a certain activity or request. This was a bit daunting at times, but it also made my whole experience more interesting. For me, it was engaging to see how my teenage students behaved and interacted with each other.

3. Teens are curious, which is probably what I like the most. 
Teens like to learn and discover new things. To my surprise, a large part of my students were truly interested in English. Many of them liked to participate in class. Even after classes, some students would come to me, and ask me the meaning of some words.



Based on my teaching practicum, I can also name some things that I did not like about working with teens: 

While there were students willing to cooperate, there were also students reluctant to pay attention, listen to instructions, or participate in classroom activities. Some of my teenage students were disrespectful. I noticed some had bad attitudes, and I even heard nasty words. I know that sometimes this is due to teens’ moodiness. But, more often than not, it is the reflection of the bad education system we have in our country. Unfortunately, teachers and school administrators dismiss or do not care about the critical problems their students and schools face.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario